Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Menu Making Adventure

I absolutely hate to cook.  It isn't that I can't; actually, I'm quite a good cook.  I just hate it.  But there are several people in my house who have somehow gotten it into their heads that I'm the person who provides the meals.  As if I'm the mom or something.

Oh...wait...I am the mom.

Okay, then!  Since people around here insist on eating, and hubby can't cook and the Free Spirit is on a special diet and therefore we have to avoid a lot of pre-packaged junk, I have to suck it up and cook.  Which brings us to the next step:  deciding what to cook.  I hate that too.  For a while, I subscribed to a menu service for $5 a month.  They sent me five meals a week, complete with recipes and shopping lists (awesome, since I also hate compiling those).  The only problem was that half the stuff my family wouldn't eat.  Plus I'm cheap and wanted to keep my five bucks.  So, my solution:  I gritted my teeth and created my own set of rotating menus.  I hated every minute of it.  But now they're done and I never have to do it again.

It was a tough and boring job, but somebody had to do it.  I used a really cool template from Busy Bee Lifestyle to plan these blasted menus.  I liked their template because it had separate meals for the kids.  Clearly the person who created that template understands kids.  Or at least my kids.  Of course, I like things with color, so I made a Publisher document and copied the style of their template and added illustrations.

Hopefully, my family won't get tired of the same 16 menus, because I have no intention of ever doing that again.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to print my shopping list.

No comments: